Monday, March 10, 2008

New Recipe


Coffee and a doughnut

Hello Hello....

Well this Saturday morning I went ahead and tried a new recipe I had gotten from Jannett at BakeSpace.com. The recipe is called "Buttermilk Drop Doughnuts" So I woke up early and got the kitchen ready and decided to tackle these little guys for breakfast...

Buttermilk Doughnuts

Ingredients:

-Vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached flour ( I only had bleached all purpose so that is what i used)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg ( I did not add this in)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste ( I used vanilla extract as Jannett said that could be subbed in)
Sugar and cinnamon for coating or an icing of your choice

Heat oil ( 2 to 3 inches) in a dutch oven to 375 degrees F. ( I just used a pan on the stove at medium heat)

In a bowl combine all dry ingredients.
dry ingredients

Then add in the wet ingredients.
add in the wet

Beat with a mixer until smooth.
mix it up

Drop the dough by teaspoons into the hot oil. Do not make them too large or they will not cook all the way through. You will think you are not dropping in very much but they expand a lot larger once they start to cook!
Photobucket

Fry for about 3 minuted or until they are golden brown. Do not cook too long so that outside gets burned looking and if they are browning too fast just turn down the oil.
Once you have cooked them drain on paper towel and then immediately roll in coating of your choice. I rolled half in just sugar and the other half in cinnamon and sugar. Coat using a spoon to coat the entire doughnut and then place on a finished plate.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Once you are done... Sit back with some coffee and ENJOY!
Photobucket
Coffee and a doughnut

I liked these. I do not think I will make them again but they were different which is just what I was wanting to try! I like to try new things and I am always up for a challenge so these sounded like fun. PLUS who doesn't like doughnuts??? And I have never had one that was homemade. I know there are several varieties of homemade doughnuts and this is only one so I will be open to trying them again! Jason said on a scale of 1 to 5 he gave them a 3.5... however he kept eating them and eating them even when I wanted to put them up! ha ha so they must have been alright.

As I was walking to the kitchen to put them in a plastic container to see if they would be good the next day or to see how they would last I tripped ( in classic heather style) imagine in slow motion if you will.... a plate full of these little babies... covered in sugar and cinnamon flying in the air as I am yelling " NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo" and then they were everywhere... the floor, the dinning room table and even the dog now had a sugary cinnamon coating... ha ha too bad for you I could not get to my camera and Jason had helped me finish cleaning up by the time I thought that would make for a funny ending picture for the blog!! ha ha so I do not know if they are any good the next day....

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and I am hoping to get some ideas from you guys on what I should make this week... everyone at work is begging me for more cinnamon rolls, however, I think we can come up with something new to try!!! So let me know what you think

Sinfully Yours,

Heather

7 comments:

Sophie on March 10, 2008 at 9:43 PM said...

YUM! These look and sound soo good :)! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment! I'll add your blog to mine, let's keep in touch! I don't know too many food bloggers our age (I'm 23) so it's nice to see you on here! I also like the new cute cupcake background :)!

Sophie :)

Suze on March 13, 2008 at 11:02 AM said...

Mmmm...donuts.
I'm very impressed you went through an actual recipe for those...when I want quick "drop" donuts, I usually just buy a can of biscuits and cut them up. Might have to do that soon actually.
:)

Cakespy on March 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM said...

Oooh these look so awesome!!

Sweet Sins on March 13, 2008 at 11:17 AM said...

Thanks Suzy!
Well I have heard of that biscuits trick but I was not positive on it and thought... if i am going to do it... I AM GOING TO DO IT!! Haha I found another great one for baked donuts... that might have to be tried soon too

Deborah on April 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM said...

There's nothing better than donuts for breakfast!

Sweet Sins on April 9, 2008 at 12:15 PM said...

Yes Deborah I must agree!! I think I have a secret obssession with cooking them too... as I have already looked up 3 different donut recipes to try sometime soon :O)

Jannett on May 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM said...

hi sweet sins 2 share... I enjoyed the story....:) I am Jannett...the person that posted the recipe...I found you from how to eat a cupcake...Great blog....wonderful photos....

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice