Friday, April 25, 2008

Thursday Night Pineapple Creations!


Hello Hello...
Well lately I have told myself that I need to suck it up and be a bit more brave about inventing my own recipes. I have a huge desire to do it but I am so scared and nervous about failing. Baking and cooking is something I enjoy and I think I am good at it... So I guess I am nervous to try and fail because I am afraid it would take away some of that passion I have for it as well as make me more hesitant in the kitchen. Well I woke up the other day and said WAIT... Stop being a nervous Nelly you baby and just do it, worst case scenario you throw it away and start over! You never know if you can or can't do it until you TRY!! (You are getting anxious to know what I have tried aren't you??? Well you are not if you already scrolled down to peak at the pictures! Cheater...)

Pineapple is one of my favorite foods let alone fruits! I just love it... especially in summer... which is right around the corner so get ready to see more pineapple on this page! Any who, Pineapple Upside Down Cake is amazing I think it is not too sweet, just light happy and pineapplicious! It is also so bright and pretty that it just makes you smile looking at it. I love it so much I decided that I wanted to make my own. Not tweak an existing one but just try to make my own based on my experience in the kitchen as well as what I know and see what happens. SO I DID IT!! YEP... I sent some emails to Sophie from Flour Arrangements and after getting some support and some feed back I decided to try it out and see what happened! Here is the recipe I used..

Ingredients
-2 cups flour
-2 eggs
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup pineapple juice -unsweetened just all natural juice-
-1/3 cup applesauce
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon baking soda

For the topping
-1/2 cup ( 1 stick butter)
-1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
-pineapple slices
-marashino cherries

First I took all the wet ingredients and combinded them in my mixer. I then added the dry ingredients,( I had combinded the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside)
Photobucket

I then took my bundt pan and sprayed non-stick spray on the inside. I melted the 1/2 stick of butter for topping and poured it into the bundt pan. I then took the 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar and sprinkled it in the pan over the top of the butter. I layed the pineapple slices in the pan and placed a cherry in the center. I then poured the batter over the top and it was ready for baking. I baked it at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
This picture is right before I took it out of the oven. You can see the bubbling almost like there was too much wet ingredients... between you and I... I started to panic at this moment haha
Photobucket

I got the cake pan ready and I flipped to unveil the cake!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
The topping was maybe almost too much for the size of the cake as it melted all into the cake pan...
Photobucket
Here is a look at the cake cut open...
Photobucket

OK so now I know you are wondering... Did it taste like poo or rubber or was it actually good??
I thought it was pretty good and I was super proud for that being my first invention. A couple differences I might make is disolving the brownsugar into the butter for topping then linning the pan with it... there was a slight crunchiness from the granuals of brown sugar on the topping.
Another change I am thinking of is using some cake flour and 1/3 oil instead of applesauce. I love the applesauce and the idea of it making it lower fat and calorie but I think it would be less dense with these changes... When I do test it with the changes I will be sure to share... I also would love any ideas or feedback you may have for me!! All and all this was a very positive FUN experience... I did not take a picture of the preped pan like I wanted because... well because I was like a mad scientist with flour everywhere and crazy hair and eyes :O) I was inventing!!!

Sinfully Yours,

Heather

10 comments:

Sophie on April 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM said...

ha! of course it doesn't taste like poo or rubber, it actually looks great! i like how moist the actual cake looks :). I have yet to experiment with a pineapple cake, but you've inspired me. I'll have to do it one of these weekends :). it's great that you invented this recipe! i'm so proud of you :D

Anonymous said...

Very nice looking cake. I want to try a pineapple upside down cupcake one of these days. :)

Mama Mia on April 28, 2008 at 2:40 AM said...

I always wanted to try making pineapple upsidedown cake... this looks great!

Anonymous said...

mouthwatering!! let me know how your biscotti turn out! hope you had a good weekend and make it through smiling + baking this week! :)

How To Eat A Cupcake on April 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM said...

YAY! I'm glad it worked & I'm proud of you!! If I loved warm pineapple, I might love this! Lol I only like my pineapple really cold.

Anonymous said...

I don't know Heather, but that Pineapple Cake looks perfect to me!

It's fun when you start creating your own recipes and people comment that they are great and tasty. Way to go Heather!

Anonymous said...

It can be scary creating your own recipes, can't it! I've made some real disasters, but when you hit a winner it's so exciting and worth a few bombs! But you did great on this, it looks wonderful.

Sophie on May 4, 2008 at 10:42 AM said...

Heather~ Your pineapple upside down cake looked so darn moist and delish, you inspired me to make one myself! I'm about to post the pics for my pineapple 'right side up' cake lol. :)

Anonymous said...

Heather, this is a nice looking cake. I like the flavor of pineapple in desserts. You did a great job! And tempted me to save this recipe:)

RecipeGirl on May 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM said...

I'm glad it was good! It LOOKS pretty :)

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice