Monday, April 21, 2008

Cake Balls Round Two...


OK so I am a huge fan of Bakerella... and as you all know she has recently gone on the Martha Stewart show where Martha show cased her cake balls! I have been obsessed with them since the moment I saw them and knew that I had to try to make them as soon as possible....
Well the first time around did not go so well but the second time was better so the pictures and commentary are going to reflect the first and the second time.

The first step of the cake balls is to pick your favorite box cake or homemade cake recipe. I choose to go old school with the Funfetti cake...
Photobucket
Once you make the cake you have to let it cool completely and then crumble the cake very fine into a bowl...
Photobucket
Next you add in a container of frosting (per Bakerella you use a whole container of frosting, however, I did this the first time and it produced very mushy wet doughish balls... The second time around I barely used half of th frosting container and they were still able to make into balls and the consistancy was much better)
Photobucket
Once you mix the frosting into the cake you need to form it into balls. The balls must be chilled before you dip them. Both times I put them in the freezer for about 12 minutes and then dipped them.
Photobucket
The first time with the Funfetti cake I tried to use the almond bark like Bakerella does... I found that either melted on the stove or in the microwave it was very thick and hard to work with and just made a mess... Plus when taste tested they were awful! Horrible little weird dough balls things. The second time around we made strawberry cake and melted white chocolate to dip them in. We added a little bit of oil to the chocolate to make the chocolate a little bit more thin and easier to work with. This produce much better results.
Photobucket
Photobucket

The cake had much more of a cake consistancy the second time around. The white chocolate did make them very rich. I still love this recipe but I do feel I need to play with it more to make more of what I was looking for. Miss Bakerella makes it look so simple :O) but I guess that is what all good bakers do! If any of you have made these and have any tips let me know... I am up for all help and suggestions.

Sinfully Yours,

Heather

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummm! what perfect little bites of cake! and about the comment you left for me, you're too funny :) don't know if the stitched cupcake is as pretty in person, but it was fun to make! have a wonderful day!

How To Eat A Cupcake on April 23, 2008 at 1:30 PM said...

I haven't made these yet but I really want to. My cousin and I make something similar, but we use Oreos. You crush the cookies and mash them up with softened cream cheese, then you roll them and dip them in chocolate. They're so yummy!

Anonymous said...

wow cake balls! kinda like cake truffles. these i gotta try. looks like so much fun to make as well. x

How To Eat A Cupcake on April 24, 2008 at 3:55 PM said...

:) Thanks lady!

What recipe was it that was so awful??

How To Eat A Cupcake on April 25, 2008 at 11:05 AM said...

That sucks you live so far from a TJ Maxx! They always have super cool extracts, jams/jellies, sprinkles, cake mixes, etc... And cool stuff for cooking too like flavored olive oils, spices, pastas, sauces, etc.

You're very brave for inventing recipes. I don't think I'll ever try until I start a bakery. And even then it will probably just be tweaking a recipe I already know. I can't wait to see this pineapple cake you're working on!

Anonymous said...

You bake some great lookin desserts. The cake balls look delicious. I love Bakerella's blog, too.

Sophie on April 29, 2008 at 8:05 PM said...

this is so cool, i love this idea, especially since it's hard for me to eat a whole slice of cake! i didn't realize you posted so many entries -- i'm so behind :P!

Unknown on May 6, 2008 at 9:24 PM said...

WOW- Those look yummy!! I love your blog and will add you to my blogroll!

Suze on May 27, 2008 at 3:24 PM said...

oooooh...I'm in LOVE with cake balls right now...I've made them a couple times...love them!! Your balls look great...tee hee!!

Tiffani (ur fav sis) said...

Heath, try shaking the balls more after you have dipped them. it will result in the chocolate layer being thinner therefore not so overpowering. it should be a nice balance of cake to choc. love you!!!!

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice