Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shrimp and Penne in Tomato Cream Sauce


Photobucket

Do you ever stumble upon a recipe that you know you are going to love? You know that there is no way on this earth that you won't and you are so excited to make it that it is all you want to talk about or think about until you can actually do it! Well that is how I felt the moment I read this on The Pioneer Woman's blog page. It spoke to my little heart and said "you will love me! Take me home and make me your own!" (much the same way that blue and silver zebra print Guess purse did at the Ross the other day! Oh and how glad am I now that I own that treasure? SO GLAD)
Back to the pasta! The Pioneer Woman is a genius that is really all there is to it! You have to make this dish!
So here it is:
Pasta a la Betsy by The Pioneer Woman  with my thoughts or comments in RED
Ingredients
3/4 pound penne pasta
1lb shrimp
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 whole onion (small)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup of white wine
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
parsley, basil, salt and pepper to taste

Cook the penne pasta until tender-firm, also known as al dente.


Peel, de-vein and rinse (under cool water) 1 pound of extra large shrimp. (or you can just buy it already peeled and de-veined like I did haha) Heat about 1 tbsp. butter and olive oil in a skillet. Add the shrimp and cook for a couple minutes until just opaque. Do not overcook them. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Now, put the cooked shrimp on the cutting board and pull off the tails. Chop the shrimp into bite –sized pieces and set aside.
Here is the shrimp!
Photobucket
Finely dice one small onion. Mince two cloves of garlic.
In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally. After the garlic and onions have cooked a bit add your white wine. Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. If you would rather not use wine, you can use low-sodium chicken broth instead (about ½ cup). (but honestly who would do that?! Trust me and use the wine!)
Now add an 8-ounce can of plain tomato sauce. Stir well until combined. Then add 1 cup of heavy cream. Continue stirring. Turn heat down to low and let simmer.

Now chop your herbs, about a tablespoon of chopped parsley and about the same amount of chopped basil, or if you’re feeling very proper, chiffonaded. (See The Pioneer Woman for a more detailed explanation of chiddonade)
Check out that Basil
Photobucket

Photobucket


Now add your chopped shrimp back into the tomato cream sauce. Give it a stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Throw in your herbs and stir until combined. Finally add your cooked penne pasta and give it a good stir.
Photobucket
Plate and serve!
Photobucket
Look at this! Just look! You know you want to go make it!!
Photobucket

I am sorry for my lack of posting this sooner, however, last week the Hubby and I ventured on out to my home state of California (or Caleee-for-knee-a as the govenator likes to call it!) The purpose of the trip was not just to go and see the family but to road trip up to Lake Zaca in Los Olivos for my Grandpa' 80th birthday! I thought I would show you guys some pictures of the trip! I am sorry if they are not the best quality I was hanging out the window (or sunroof!) but all photos are courtesy of my new droid x! Love it!

Here is the Hubby opening the gate to the lake. It is a private lake. Aww he is so cute!
Photobucket
Before you get to the lake you see this sign. I guess here the lake is, is technically a town with population 8!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here is the lake from the lodge!
Photobucket
Here is where we were. This lake is about 40 acres! It is great not too small not too big! Just right!
Photobucket
We also went wine tasting at the private vineyards that shared the same road as the lake. Demetria is he name of the second vineyard we went to. That is where these pictures are from! It is amazing and gorgeous!
Look at all those rolling hills of grapes!
Photobucket
Ok so the sale tag is not real but a girl can deam!
Photobucket
The list of what we tasted! They should totally let you try the list ove and over again because I mean how do you really know if you like it unless you have 3 different tastes of it? LOL
Photobucket
LOOK at my beautiful mother! She is amazing!
Photobucket
Then we got a little behind the scenes view... this is the wine lab where they do all the tasting and make the magic happen! That should be my job!
Photobucket
Look at those barrels!
Photobucket
Well I hope you all enjoy the photos and MAKE THE PASTA! LOL

Labor day is coming up... does anyone have any last minute summer vacation plans?

2 comments:

Unknown on September 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM said...

Yummy...I am ABSOLUTELY going to make this, possibly tonight. lol. Nice family pictures, glad you had a great trip.

Anonymous said...

What a great recipe and thanks for all the pics along the way.
Loved the photos of our trip. Makes me want to jump in the car and go back. I love you babe. It was so great seeing both of you.
Mom

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice