Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beer Cake!!


Hello Hello!!

Last week I had a cake order for a birthday. They told me that they wanted a cake that looked like beer and that the birthday boy had a favorite type of beer and that was "Natural Light" I decided to make a chocolate cake filled with Dulce De Leche and frosted with a vanilla butter cream. Had I not had to tint the icing and make it look like a beer I would have used a chocolate frosting but I think the butter cream complimented the cake very nicely as well! Jason was eating all the pieces that I had trimmed off and claimed that it was amazingly good! I plan on making it in cupcake form with a ganache frosting in the weeks to come!!

I used the chocolate cake recipe off the back of the Hershey's coca can! I just made a few changes! I used buttermilk instead of milk and I used strong hot coffee for the boiling water! It got rave reviews from the party goers as well!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Please pardon the horrible photos but the day before I had to have this cake done the air conditioning went out in our house! For those of you who do not know Southern Oklahoma has had some lovely hot and humid weather!! I was literally taking it out of the fridge for 10 minutes at a time so it would stop melting as the repair guys were in the attic with my husband trying to fix our AC problem! SOOOO that is why the pictures are not at the best angle. This cake was also huge! It was three 11x15 cakes stacked on top of each other!! I know my decorating skills are still amateur but I have to say I am pretty proud of this creation!

5 comments:

susan chase said...

Hi Heather; The cake is hysterical!!! Great job on the trimming to make it look like a beer can! Also the silver tone icing is a great touch with the tab at the top. I never would have thought of that. What is the Duece filling? Is that a mocha flavor? I don't do the starbucks thing, since I don't like coffee. But I like Jamocian almond fudge ice cream, which is like mocha! Once again great job! I hope you are getting paid accordingly for materials, time and labor, plus a little profit too! I know when we start doing things for friends they have no idea the cost or labor involved in some of these fun creations! Love ya and talk to you soon! Kuma

Sweet Sins on August 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM said...

Dulce de leche is the Spanish version of milk caramel. Instead of being made from sugar like traditional caramel it is made from slowly heating sweetened milk. It has a very similar color to caramel and a somewhat similar taste yet it is definitely it's unique! You can buy it already prepared in the grocery store in the Spanish or Mexican food isle or you can make it yourself!

Suze on August 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM said...

A Natty-Lite cake! I LOVE it!! It sounds like it would be a tasty monster too (that's a HUGE cake!!!). :)

Sweet Sins on August 11, 2010 at 10:43 PM said...

Suzy that cake was so heavy I do not even know how it did not break that flimsy cake board that I used! It was insane but they need it to feed 30-40 and there is nothing worse the not having enough cake! That is just... well in my opinion that is a cardinal sin!! LOL

Taylor on August 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM said...

This cake is so fun! I love the Hershey's chocolate cake...so rich and chocolatey!

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice