Monday, March 15, 2010

Blueberry Muffins


Photobucket


This Friday I was off of work because my best friend was in town and staying with us for the weekend. Since I was the first to wake up I thought I would surprise everyone (everyone being my husband Jason and Ryan my best friend!) with some homemade muffins and a pot of coffee so we could start the day off with the most important meal of the day! I just happened to have all the ingredients in the house, which I love because when I get a wild hair or a crazy plan for something I just love being able to walk into the pantry and see that I am actually going to be able to make it happen without having to go to 3 different stores to get everything. The only thing I would have preferred would be to have used fresh blueberries instead of canned blueberries, however, my last few trips to the supermarket have lead me to believe that they are not quite in season because there have not been any available. Other then that I think this recipe is great. It is not too rich or over powering and the crumbly topping is the perfect sweet touch.

Blueberry Muffins

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1/3 cup of milk

1 cup of fresh blueberries (I used canned and they turned out great!)

Crumb Topping Ingredients:

1/2 cup white sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/4 cup of butter cubed

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon



Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.

2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and then enough milk to fill the cup. Pour this mixture from the measuring up in with the flour mixture.

3. Fold in the blueberries

Photobucket



4. Fill the muffin cups right to the top.

Photobucket

I only had a cupcake pan and not a muffin pan so I decided to fill some to the top to get huge muffins and some smaller so that there would be a variety of sizes.



5. Sprinkle on crumb topping mixture. To make crumb topping: mix together ingredients and sprinkle over the muffins before baking.

Photobucket



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Mine were done at 20 minutes but I also used a cupcake pan versus a muffin pan.

Photobucket


Photobucket

Look at that crumb topping.... Ryan came in the kitchen just moments before the muffins came out of the oven and we ate them warm. It was great!

UPDATE: I was cruising around on Piece of Cake and saw that she too has made these muffins!! She agreed they are wonderful! And really... lets face it she is like a goddess when it comes to writing or baking! So if she says something then consider it BIBLE! Live it, learn it... LOVE IT!

UPDATE: These are photos of them made with fresh blue berries... They were fantastic!
Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

Sophie on March 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM said...

Nothing beats a warm blueberry muffin :). What a sweet friend you are! Wish I had a pal around to bake with!

Hope you're doing well and feeling good these days :D.

cookies and cups on March 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM said...

I love blueberry muffins and they are my kids favorite Saturday morning breakfast! I will give this recipe a try!

Unknown on April 8, 2010 at 10:40 AM said...

Welcome back.. I love anything with crumb toppings :)

 

Sweet Sins 2 Share Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice